Mould is a fungus that grows in damp and humid environments. It releases tiny spores into the surrounding area, which allow mould to propagate and spread quickly around homes.

If you notice mould growth in your home, you’ll need first to find the cause to determine the best way to eradicate it immediately. Otherwise, you may use the wrong method and exacerbate the problem, possibly leading to structural damage and health risks.

Health Effects of Mould

Exposure to mould usually cause allergic reactions – such as sneezing, sniffing, and watery eyes – that generally go after a few hours of leaving the affected area. However, some people are much more sensitive to mould than others, and they may experience stronger reactions, including asthma attacks and breathing difficulty. Also, some moulds release toxic spores called mycotoxins, which could lead to serious health issues, such as bleeding lungs and chronic bronchitis.

Causes of Mould

Mould invasion in your home could be as a result of excess moisture from leaking pipes, rain seeping in from the damaged roof or window frames, or rising water from the foundation.

Also, mould could be caused by moisture from condensation, especially when indoor air is saturated with water vapour, and there’s no proper air conditioning and ventilation.

You can prevent excess moisture from condensation by:

(i) Opening the windows regularly to improve ventilation.

(ii) Drying your washed clothes outside and avoiding bottled gas heaters.

(iii) Ensuring your house is well ventilated and insulated.

(iv) Heating your home a little more.

(v) Repairs may also fix any leak and help improve room ventilation.

How to Eradicate Mould

  • Once the source of the excess moisture has is fixed, then you can get rid of mould. If the mould growth is limited to a small area of your home less than 1×1 metre squared space, you may be able to remove it by yourself. In cases of severe infestation, mould cleaning in Australia should be handled.

Pro Tip: Never try to remove mould growth yourself if it was as a result of contaminated water or sewage.

 

  • Wear protective goggles, rubber gloves, and face masks to minimise exposure to mould spores. Before removing the mould, open the windows for ventilation, but close the doors to prevent spores from spreading to other rooms.
  • Wash off the mould growth with warm water and washing soap or detergent in mild cases.
  • For stubborn moulds, prepare a solution of 1 cup of your chosen anti-microbial agent in a gallon of water. Avoid mixing with any cleaning product containing ammonia, since this will release toxic gas into your home.

After this, allow the area to dry out thoroughly. Don’t forget that mould and moisture are good friends.

The affected room should be cleaned and then dried out by vacuuming to remove all leftover spores.

  • Repeat the procedures for other affected areas until the entire mould colony has been wiped out.
  • Repaint or caulk the affected areas to complete the process.

If mould is noticed on carpets or porous surfaces around your house, it’s advisable to have them disposed of properly because it’s tough to remove mould from these materials.

Bottom Line

Mould is a harmful fungus that thrives in moist and warm environments. In mild cases, mould growth can be removed by simple DIY methods as outlined above. However, more severe cases would require professional attention to get the mould obliterated.

If you suspect mould for allergic reactions in your home, it’s time to invite mould removal experts to inspect the building. Don’t forget that your health and that of your family is a priority. Act immediately!